Welcome to our Family Blog! This is a cozy little corner where you can keep up to date on all the adventures, milestones, happenings and fun that our dear Heavenly Father sends our family's way on Life's Journey! And our gradual journey toward a life of living off the land and self-sufficiency! So hop aboard and join us!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Treat Your Hair Kindly

I’ve made some very exciting discoveries, ladies, about caring for my hair that I just have to share with you all, as well as a wonderful book on hair care that you might like to check out!

I came upon this link quite unexpectedly, while I was having loads of fun checking out all the home activity ideas to do for preschoolers, from another mother’s blog, and she has a section about caring for her hair, and how much she wants curly hair (same as me!) and one of the most amazing discoveries I learned is that even simple, regular, ‘normal’ shampoo actually contains very, very harsh substances that are actually very drying and damaging to our hair!  It doesn’t matter what brand it is - if its in the regular shampoo isle - its poison!!!  I never knew that before!! I knew that it wasn’t great, but I certainly didn’t know it was literally damaging!  To think of all the years of awful treatment my poor hair has suffered - no wonder its constantly dry.  My smallest consolation is that at least I’ve been using a really wonderful oil blend - on and off - although now after these exciting discoveries about the little-known ways to properly care for hair, I now have tons of motivation to start making that practice more regular!  And the key I learned is that one needs to think: Moisture, moisture, moisture!  So no more drying shampoos, in fact it recommends no shampoo at all(!!! Wow!), though if I find I need it, a completely natural, very mild shampoo, in only very small amounts, will do fine! 

Right now, now that I’ve already started on the Program they recommend - of beginning to reverse the years of damage, and replace it with ‘moisture, moisture, moisture’, I have my hair drenched for 24 hours in Coconut Oil, which is another fabulous tip that I plan to start doing on a very regular basis!  (As well as Olive Oil drench, which I’ll also be making a constant part of my lifestyle, after these discoveries!)

And best of all I’ve even found a dark brown hair color for sale on Amazon - Cruelty Free - completely natural, with natural henna, which regular use will actually (unbelievably!!), greatly improve hair and make it thicker!!

And, while talking about very exciting discoveries, I’ve also started using Burts Bees brand Radiance Creme for my face, because I’ve always had very dry skin and hair so I’ve always had to moisturize very often - ESPECIALLY in the Winter (even more than once a day), and my skin has hugely improved, and its another completely natural product.  Also, scented body lotion to neck, etc, can be a cheaper and better alternative to perfume, especially in the winter when we need so much moisture.

Alrightie, if any of you would love to join me in starting the Program of transformation, here’s the name of the fabulous Hair Care book (for Curly and Wavy hair): ‘Curly Girl Handbook’ by Lorraine Massey ‘A Celebration of Curls: How to cut them, care for them, love them and set them free’

Hope you enjoyed these exciting tips ladies! 

Your sister in Christ,
Mrs Allen

2 comments:

Adele said...

Wow Claire!! That is sooo amazing... I have been looking for something like that for a very long time too. I love the sound of soaking your hair in coconut oil and olive oil!! Sounds really healthy and hydrating for the hair. I will definitely look at that book and is there a website? Thanks for all that info, and I love your blog! Great job!! ~Adele

Unknown said...

Interesting stuff Claire!! I never knew about that! One other tip I've come across that you might be interested in: I put bicorbonate of soda on my hair as shampoo and it literally eliminates dandruff and greasyness! I came across this idea in an article where they said that bicorbonate of soda is a natural cleansing agent and will work wonders for your hair!